Why Choose Chemistry as a Major?
Chemistry is often referred to as the central science because it is fundamental to our world; playing a role in everyone’s lives and touching almost every aspect of our existence in some way. For example, chemistry helps us to meet elementary needs such as food, clothing, shelter, health, energy, clean air, and water. The application of chemistry to technology helps to enrich our quality of life in numerous ways by providing new solutions to problems in health, materials, and energy usage. Therefore, majoring in chemistry will provide students with knowledge of chemicals and chemical processes which are the underlying principles of numerous physical and biological phenomena as well as the physical universe that we live in.
As a Chemistry Major, you will have the opportunity to:
- Discover the process for scientific inquiry
- Become proficient in modern laboratory procedures
- Gain a broad knowledge in the four major areas of Chemistry
- Understand the practical and ethical applications of chemical principles in society
A degree in chemistry plays a key role in a variety of careers such as:
- Pharmaceutical Development
- Chemical Research & Manufacturing
- Science Education
- Chemistry is also an excellent beginning for careers in environmental studies, medicine, pharmacy, forensics, plant science, and law. To find out more about careers in chemistry, please visit the American Chemical Society Web site.