Which Concentration Fits You?
The varied degree concentrations in Chemistry allow students to focus on different aspects of chemistry and provide different avenues for students interested in a wide range of potential careers, including medicine, dentistry, veterinary studies, pharmacy, chemical research, quality control, pharmacy sales, teaching, biochemical research, and pharmaceutical research in addition to many others. The concentrations are briefly described below so that you might find the right fit for your future.
• Provides students with the maximum flexibility to select courses from other disciplines of interest
• Grants a solid background in chemical knowledge
• Typical career pathways are health-related science occupations, teaching careers, and business-related professions such as product development and sales.
• Combines core foundational backgrounds from the chemical and biological sciences
• Rigorous coursework and hands-on laboratory experiences help to prepare students for a range of careers
• Typical career pathways are health sciences, biochemistry research, the biotechnology industry, and advanced studies in biochemistry, molecular biology or related disciplines.
• Unique to the VCU Department of Chemistry and combines interests in mathematics, computers and chemistry
• Gain an understanding in molecular visualization to a wide range of chemical and biological applications
• Typical career pathways include studying pharmacy and medicinal chemistry at the graduate level or transitioning to positions in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industries.
• Comprehensive preparation in all the core areas of chemistry through rigorous coursework and hands-on laboratory training
• Options to pursue independent research and the American Chemical Society certification
• Typical career pathways include studies towards advanced degrees, usually the Ph.D., in chemistry, the molecular sciences or closely related fields. Those that seek employment upon graduation have the training to work in chemical and pharmaceutical industry.
• Rich research experience under the guidance of one of VCU’s outstanding and internationally renowned chemistry professors Honors thesis that includes a presentation of the research results to the entire chemistry department and the potential to publish in a scientific journal
• Option to pursue the American Chemical Society certification
• Typical career pathways include post-graduate studies towards advanced degrees, usually the Ph.D., in chemistry or employment in chemistry research career.