National Science Foundation-Research Experience for Undergraduates program
The department has hosted a Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) program, sponsored by the National Science Foundation, since 1999. The “Practices and Perspectives” program is designed to provide an experience that combines practical training in specific research techniques (practices) withactivities designed to put the research into the context of larger goals of modern science and technology (perspectives).
- The program also provides career planning and management components.
- This program lasts 10-and-one-half weeks, generally from the end of May until early August.
- Participants will receive a stipend of $4,000 plus a $500 food allowance. In addition, the program will pay dormitory fees and limited travel assistance.
- Applicants in all science and engineering fields must have completed one year of general chemistry and one year of organic chemistry.
- To be eligible, students must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents and not have graduated prior to June of the application year.
- Program will run from May 27th -August 8th, 2014
- Deadline is March 1st, 2014. Completed applications must include transcripts, two letters of recommendation and a one page narrative statement. Please electronically submit all application information to firstname.lastname@example.org. Official transcripts can be mailed to the department’s address below. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the program is filled. Download the necessary forms below:
Department of Chemistry
P.O. Box 842006
1001 West Main Street
Richmond, Virginia 23284-2006